Wednesday 6 April 2011

A musing: greed?

I have been to two funerals this year, both of grandmothers---my own maternal grandmother, and my wife's maternal grandmother. I was surprised to see how quickly the families became so greedy so quickly, and how people began fighting over money.

Even right now, some members of my family are still not speaking with one another because some members of the family asked for more money at the expense of others. A similar thing happened for my wife's family, too - literally less than one hour after her grandmother had transmigrated from this life were some of her children coming around to discuss who takes what according to the will, much to the annoyance of their father, who was sitting in the room at the time, and he had just lost his wife.

Now, by no means do I blame those members of the family who requested more money for I am not certain of their financial situations. Perhaps they required more money and they needed some to survive, or perhaps they were just being greedy and trying to get more money out of family. I can't say for sure, naturally. Either way, I try to be above the "blame game".
 
One thing I can say though, is I think they were all out of order. My own side, for the way they begun to talk negatively about the ones who wanted money. The other side, for requesting an unfair amount of money and becoming irritable when there was no way they would be able to take it.When discussion had finally set in, it was too late: the groups had gone behind one another's back until they could no longer do so. Snide comments were made, found out by others, and arguments ensured.

What is disappointing is how such bitter arguments with family ostracising one another for months, even years, can occur over something so simple and petty which could have been resolved peacefully and amicably if people had sat together and spoken of it calmly and politely and were not clinging to such greed. Money should never split a family, but it often seems to be a main culprit.

Should you be willing to give up some of your own money to someone who wanted more, or would you be willing to allow your father to give more of his own money that he received from his wife's death for peace?

I know that it would be greed for one not to be willing to part with one's money, and it would be charitable to give to those who need to - but how does one know when the one to whom they help are not being greedy, or even worse, as thieves? Should one be willing to art with their money with a smile on their face as they are robbed, or ultimately giving in to a loved one's greed? Or should one, because they are family whom you love, stop them?

What would you guys have done, if money was going to split a family like in the example I have given?

No comments:

Post a Comment